Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Work travel



I spent part of last weekend traveling for work up to Roseville, California. Like many suburban communities, the city was big, lined with shopping malls and restaurants, and totally lacking functional public transportation. I ignorantly assumed that public transportation from the airport in Sacramento to the city of Roseville would not be a difficult endeavor, and paid for my lack of research by spending 6 hours of my day waiting for one of only 2 busses from Sacramento to my destination. Good thing it was not a Saturday when there were NO busses traveling that route!

That being said, I can reflect on what I got out of my 36 hour trip that I would have completely missed had I rented a car and driven directly to the hotel I stayed at. First, I had some free time to check out the local shopping mall (much to my husbands disappointment). Second, I walked, and walked, and walked. After I walked a little bit more, I realized that Sacramento is a beautiful city! I walked right in to our state capitol building, past a few historical sights, and have to say I truly enjoyed the city. San Diego, we have a bit of work to do at becoming as friendly as the commuters in Sac Town. Very helpful people!

On top of that, standing at bus stops and riding busses puts you in contact with some interesting folks. I learned a lot about the city and the surrounding area, and a random woman even gave me a free pass for the bus ride!

Taking a glance at the financial implications of my public transportation option, I paid $2.25 (thanks to the generosity of the lady behind me in the bus line) to get from the airport to downtown Sacramento, then to Roseville. What a steal!

No comments: