Friday, April 11, 2008

Day 2: The Commute

Running totals: 10 miles on the bus, 26 miles on the bike, 0 in the car

Lessons learned:

1) Don't wear wide leg sweat pants on a bike without a chain guard:(

2) Don't underestimate the value of being kind to the bus driver.

3) Getting honked at sucks.

All in all, I have learned that the bus system is much better in San Diego than I anticipated it would be, and the biking conditions much worse. While my bus ride was comfortable and relaxing, I have found drivers on the road impatient and the road conditions less than optimal for a daily commute.

I must admit, as a driver, I have been quite frustrated with bikers who ride in the traffic lanes when there is a perfectly good bike lane available, or when they travel huge gaggles of spandex and create traffic jams in their wake. That being said, I consider myself a quite courteous bike rider, wearing an enormous orange backpack so I am easy to see, always staying as far to the side of the rode as I can, and even getting on sidewalks when possible. Sometimes when the roads lack a bike lane and there is no sidewalk to escape to, there is not much to do besides rely on drivers to have a few moments of patience to allow you to get to where you need to go.

Off to research bike etiquette...stay tuned for the helmet cam next week.

No comments: