Friday, April 18, 2008

Mammoth


I'm in Mammoth with my family this weekend, and no, I did not ride my bike up here...

I got an email from a friend when I started my month without my car who said that he could never give up his car because of the distance that he had to travel to work, but that he carpooled with a coworker, "does that count?" Of course it counts. The whole point of the carless month is to take another car off the road...to lessen the impact and to see what sacrifices need to be made to live without a car. That being said, I am up here in mammoth, I rode the bus to get to my ride to the mountain, and I am still not using my car.

Being in the Sierras is one of my favorite places to be, and it is one of the best to consider our environmental impacts. As far as places that will be impacted the most severely by the increasing earth temperature, the mountain areas rank among the highest. From the diverse weather patters to the dynamic ecosystem, and considering the water supply created for much of the state of California by these mountains, my time up here makes me want to work harder and do more to protect this unbelievable place.

No comments: