Friday, April 4, 2008

Changing Times

I filled up my car today on $3.76/gallon gas, then got back on the road to hear yet another update on NPR about the tanking US economy and uncertainties in the future of our water supply. How long will we as Americans keep the luxury of driving...not to mention the multitude of other luxuries we accept as the norm in our lifestyles everyday? It seems that the breaking point must be close...increasing complexities in the middle east indicate gas prices have not nearly hit their peak, while the bursting of the housing market bubble has created a ripple effect of job losses, budget cuts, a falling dollar value, and increasingly difficult financial times that have been felt not only here it the US but across the globe.

April 10th is coming soon...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa - I commend you for taking this on and sharing your experience with others. "Across the Globe" comment - last Jan I moved from San Diego to American Samoa for a job as a Marine Science Coordinator. I could go on & on about the pollution issues & battles we are taking on with their waste, but I'll save it for another time. This is a US territory that has been neglected by the US. Gas prices last month have increased to $3.97 a gallon. People here struggle enough to make ends meet. My boyfriend & I took the bus & walked for close to 2 months before receiving our car. It was a struggle only with regards to gathering groceries. Not much fresh vegetables here, so you really have to search & stores close early. It was a hardship in itself. A lot of people are dependent upon the buses here and they are probably more reliable (convenience-wise) than in the states! I'll send you a photo of them. Good luck with your adventure! Hang in there! It will change your perspective on our conveniences. I'm right with ya!
-Lauren Wetzell