Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rain


Today I was humbled. Commuting without a car in San Diego in the spring is all well and good, but how on earth do people do it in places where there is...weather?

It hit me today that here in So Cal, the long days and mild temperatures make biking a relative piece of cake. The light rain that I rode my bike through this morning not only put me in an uncomfortable situation and a bad mood, it forced me to understand how unbelievably unprepared I am to deal with any extremes in weather.

What I SHOULD have had today to deal with the rain:
1) Fenders on my bike
2) A raincoat
3) Long funny pants (aka bike pants)
4) Head lights and tail lights
5) waterproof backpack

What I DID have today:
1) A wet and sandy butt
2) A wet head and shoulders
3) cold legs
4) less than optimal safety conditions on the road
5) a wet backpack (and wet contents)
6) a bad mood:(

No comments: